Academic English Program
AEP is an English as a Second Language (ESL) program designed to assist students master reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills. The program provides students with effective English language instruction and the skills necessary for academic success. In addition, the program prepares students for standardized testing essential for university entrance.
Each term students take both a reading/writing and a listening/speaking course. The courses are intense and designed to improve essential skills in English communication.
Students who complete the program are able to:
- Participate and interact in core classes
- Read and understand academic passages
- Write research essays
- Evaluate and respond creatively to other writers
- Use academic language and vocabulary
- Understand and take notes on lectures
- Prepare and give presentations
- Rapid learning methods
- Authentic reading passages
- Topic-based projects
- Academic writing
- Effective grammar instruction
- Academic vocabulary
- Interactive lessons
- If students start at Level 2, they will study for four terms
- Each term is eight weeks
- Students take two courses per term
- Terms typically begin in August, October, January, March
- Passing mark is 70% average score
What students are saying
We offer students a cost effective plan for mastering English skills. With no hidden fees, they pay a flat fee of US$1,350* for the entire 32 week program, or US$225 per course. If you represent a school, visit Nelson Center for Schools.
*The total fee is adjusted for students beginning at a higher level.